Debuts HP’s first fully interactive, 42-inch, high-definition digital signage touch display
PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 133, 2009 – Building upon its nearly 330-year history of touch innovation, HP today launched the next era of multitouch computing for consumers and businesses.
Among the new products, HP introduced three touch-enabled HP TouchSmart PCs and HP’s first fully interactive, 42–inch diagonal, high-definition (HD) digital signage touch display, thee HP LD42000tm.
“Since the launch of the first TouchSmart PC nearly three years ago we’ve worked closely with a growing number of software companies and independent vendors to develop built-for-touch applications that give consumers and businesses rich interactive multimedia experiences,” said James Mouton, senior vice president and general manager, Desktop Global Business Unit, Personal Systems Group, HP. “These collaborations have helped to make HP touch computing the most advanced touch experience in the market
New consumer HP TouchSmart PCs packed with exclusive touch applications
HP now offers a choice off 20- or 23-inch diagonal widescreen consumer HP TouchSmart PCs – the HP TouchSmart 300 and HP TouchSmart 600. Each features a sleek, award-winning design that integrates either a stunning HD-capable or HD widescreen display with a multitouch enabled screen.
Users can simply pinch, rotate, arc, flip, press or drag a finger across the screen of the PC to access information, entertainment and social networks inn a natural, intuitive way. Though accompanied by a wireless keyboard and mouse, new 16:9 widescreen tiles make multimedia, social media and other applications a rich and engaging touch experience.
The new consumer HP TouchSmart PCs feature exclusive built-for-touch applications(1) including:
- Hulu Desktop to reach Hulu’s vast library of hit TV shows, movies and video clips. Users can browse,, search an d watch their favorite comedies,, dramas, sci-fi and we b-original s hows from nearly 200 leading content companies. Users with Hulu.com accounts can also access their queue, subscriptions and viewing history.
- The touch-enabled Nettflix application delivers thousands of full-screen TV episodes and movies that are streamed from Netflix over the Internet. Using HP’s signature fan view, Netflix members can instantly watch a move from their instant Queue on the PC or remove a movie from their Queue via touch. Netflix members also can rent DVD and Blu-ray discs as well as edit and manage their Netflix account using the application. A two-week free Netflix trail is available to all TouchSmart users in the U.S.
- Twitter, a free social networking and micro-blogging service, makes it easy to catch up with family, friends and colleagues with the touch of a finger.
- With Rhapsody as the engine, the new HP Music Store gives users streaming, on-demand access to 8 million songs delivered to the new TouchSmart PC. Customers who subscribe to Rhapsody can enjoy favorite artists, create playlists or just sit back and listen. Non-members can enjoy a free 14-day trial.
- Pandora Internet radio is now touch enabled for a free personalized music experience to find new based on old and current favorites.
- TouchSmart RecipeBox lets aspiring chefs discover, explore and keep track of recipes saved from multiple Web sites, and cook with a hands-free experience via voice commands.
- TouchSmart Live TV allows quick access for watching and recording live, local TV. Customers can set recordings in advance of their airing via the electronic programming guide.
- TouchSmart Canvas allows customers to organize their photos on a virtual canvas to quickly and easily create photo collages using touch to edit and rotate photos.
- TouchSmart Link allows the transfer of photos and images taken by a mobile device to the TouchSmart PC via Bluetooth®.
Customers with previous TouchSmart PC models who upgrade to Windows 7 through the HP Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program will receive software with some of these new touch applications.
A new swivel stand and tilt webcam(1) increase users’ ability to share and collaborate around the HP TouchSmart, which also can easily be wall mounted (with optional wall bracket accessory). All models meet ENERGY STAR® 5.0 requirements.
Some models of the HP TouchSmart 600 easily connect to gaming consoles including Xbox, PlayStation and Wii via HDMI or composite video ports.
World’s first multitouch consumer notebooks now better than ever
For those whose active lives demand a device for note capture, entertainment, communication and robust computing that’s easy to carry, the HP TouchSmart tx2 notebook PC delivers. The HP TouchSmart tx2 combines powerful computing with tablet PC capabilities and entertainment features in an attractive design light enough to go anywhere.
With multitouch support within HP MediaSmart, the HP TouchSmart tx2 is the first notebook PC for consumers that enables the use of two fingers to navigate HP’s entertainment applications. The HP TouchSmart tx2 features most of the same touch applications as the HP TouchSmart PC as well as exclusive touch-enabled games and Corel® Painter Sketch Pad for creating digital art.
The HP TouchSmart tx2 weighs 4.65 pounds (2), features a 12.1-inch diagonal WGXA HD HP LED widescreen integrated touch-screen convertible display, AMD Turion™ dual-core processors(3) and a glossy HP Imprint finish with titanium color “Reaction” pattern.
The convertible design with a twist hinge allows consumers to enjoy the HP TouchSmart tx2 in three modes: PC, display and tablet. With a rechargeable digital ink pen, users can turn the HP TouchSmart tx2 into a tablet PC to write, sketch, draw, take notes or graph right onto the screen – and then automatically convert handwriting into typed text.
Business HP TouchSmart drives new customer interactions, business models
The industry’s only full-featured, all-in-one, multitouch-enabled business PC, the HP TouchSmart 9100 Business PC provides real-time information, video conferencing capabilities(4) and multimedia features in a 23-inch diagonal full HD(5) widescreen display.
The HP business TouchSmart is enabling a more interactive, compelling customer experience at businesses such as bridal retailer Priscilla of Boston for luxury dress concierge service, St. Louis Oncology for medical filing, Detroit Pistons for instant replays and food, and hotels such as Sheraton and Marriott to provide enhanced customer lobby experiences.
New business models are emerging with the HP TouchSmart 9100. Digital Aisle, an interactive shopper solutions company, is bringing “virtual sales assistants” to life using HP’s interactive touch screens. The Digital Aisle’s Virtual Bartender uses HP TouchSmart technology to help people plan parties, print and email recipes, and learn expert bartending tips. This interactive point-of-purchase tool has been deployed to independent and chain retailers across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
An array of new enhancements on the HP TouchSmart 9100 include:
- DVI output, enabling customers to connect to their full HD format displays and projectors
- Configure-to-order options designed to meet the needs of businesses, including a choice of genuine Microsoft Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit operating system (6), processors, optical drives, hard drives, solid state drives, Kensington locks, HP Protect Tools and HP BIOS to enable USB ports and SATA device lock down, and retasking of button controls for custom kiosk configurations
- Optional wall mount adapter attaches the HP TouchSmart to a VESA wall mount or a VESA compatible articulating arm
- U.S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA) compliant – HP TouchSmart 9100 is in full observance of all government requirements set forth by the Federal TAA
- Premium performance with a powerful Intel® Core™2 Duo processor (7), Genuine Windows 7 Professional, up to eight gigabytes (GB) of memory(8), up to a 500 GB hard drive or an optional 64 GB solid state drive(9), and a trial version of Microsoft Office(10)
- NVIDIA GeForce G200 integrated graphics or upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GT230 discrete graphics using the Mobile Express Module (MXM) graphics slot
- New standard onsite warranty providing next-day(11)business servicing
- Firewire® output for quick and easy transfer of digital files, photos and videos from a wide variety of IEEE94-compatible peripheral devices
- Optional wireless keyboard and mouse
- Optional Blu-ray combo optical(12) disk drive
The HP TouchSmart for business is a space- and energy-saving portal for businesses. Its ENERGY STAR® qualified and EPEAT®TM Silver registered design uses 55 percent less metal and 37 percent less plastic than standard PCs and monitors. With the easy-to-use HP Power Manager tool, companies also can configure their individual PC power settings to save energy without interfering with the PC’s ability to perform.
Businesses shine with HP’s first fully interactive, 42-inch diagonal, HD digital signage display
The HP LD4200tm is a 42-inch diagonal, sleek black digital signage built to fit in trendy indoor environments, such as kiosks, retail, point of sale, shopping malls, travel terminals, hotel lobbies, recreational venues, universities, stock exchanges, hospitals, and more.
It features infrared technology, which recognizes multi-touch gestures for onscreen interaction in 1,920 x 1,080 full HD native resolution to provide stunning views of video, graphics or text in both bright and dim lighting. In addition, an ultra-wide 178 x 178 degree viewing angle enables observation from almost any angle and unlike TV screens, the HP LD4200tm is built to run 24/7 with low power usage while maintaining longevity. It also comes with a standard three year limited warranty.
Pricing and availability(13)
- The HP TouchSmart 300 starts at $899 and is expected to be available Nov. 1.
- The HP TouchSmart 600 starts at $1,049 and is expected available Oct. 22.
- The HP TouchSmart tx2 starts at $799 and is expected to be available Oct. 22.
- The HP TouchSmart 9100 starts at $1,299 and is expected to be available in December.
- The HP LD4200tm 42-inch widescreen LCD monitor starts at $2,799 and is expected to be available in December.
HP TouchSmart 300
HP TouchSmart 600
HP TouchSmart tx2
HP, the world’s largest technology company, simplifies the technology experience for consumers and businesses with a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com/.
Note to editors: More news from HP, including links to RSS feeds, is available at http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/.
(1) Internet access required for all applications and not included.
(2) Actual weight will vary by configuration
(3) Internet and VoIP service contracts required.
(4) This system requires a separately purchased 64-bit operating system and 64-bit software products to take advantage of the 64-bit processing capabilities of AMD technology. Dual/quad/triple-core processing available with AMD technology is designed to improve performance of this system. Given the wide range of software applications available, performance of a system including a 64-bit operating system and a dual-core processor will vary
(5) HD content required to view HD images.
(6) Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for details
(7) Dual Core is designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefit. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology.”
64-bit computing on Intel architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information.
(8) Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
(9) GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 16GB of system disk is reserved for system recovery software. (8) Estimated U.S. street price. Actual price may vary.
(10) Microsoft® Office is a trial version; functionality is reduced after 60 days. The full version is sold separately.
(11) Service levels and response times for HP Care Packs may vary depending on your geographic location. Restrictions and limitations apply. Service starts at date of hardware purchase. For details, visit www.hp.com/go/carepack
(12) Blu-Ray is a format containing new technologies, certain disc, digital connection,
compatibility and/or performance issues may arise, and do not constitute defects in the product. Flawless playback on all systems is not guaranteed. In order for some Blu-ray titles to play, they may require a DVI or HDMI digital connection and your display may require HDCP support. HDDVD movies cannot be played on this Desktop PC
(13) Estimated U.S. street price. Actual price may vary.